Thursday, January 13, 2005

The internet lies

Well, actually I just can't read.

Here's the deal: I booked a train ticket from Johor Bahru, Malaysia to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in Air-Conditioned 2nd Class. I thought it said I had a sleeper, but not a 1st class sleeper cabin. Turns out I was wrong. I had a seat. It reclined. Slightly.

7 hours later I got off the train, having slept no more than 30 mins in 5 minute increments between loud outbursts of laughter from the very much awake and very much happy cleaning staff. In Malaysia, they believe that on a train ride that begins at 1115pm, you should first play a half hour program on the wasteland of central Australia from 1989, then play Stanley Kubrick's worst movie Artificial Intelligence so that passengers can't sleep until 2am. But just to make sure the passengers don't give in to evil evil sleep, they also leave the bright fluorescent lights on inside the car. At least it only cost me CAD $9.00

I also thought when I booked my hostel online for Kuala Lumpur, that it said there was internet access in my room. This time I read it correctly; the internet DID lie. "With a LAN card you can connect your laptop on your own desk to the world" from their website. Language barrier I guess, even though it's only foreign English speakers working here: turns out I can connect my laptop down in the common room, but there's only one net connection and at least two other people with laptops. Not good.

I've got a photo gallery ready for Singapore, but I will have to wait until I can connect my laptop, hopefully tonight, to upload it.

As for Kuala Lumpur, it's a dirty city. The downtown area is not particularly big, and very walkable. I'm not sure if it's the open sewers (actually just drains, but full of garbage too) or the durian, but something smells in the streets here.

I tried going to Petronas Towers, the 2nd tallest building(s) in the world, but I couldn't figure out how to get to the top... I think they don't allow anyone up there unless they work there. Oh well, they have the world's 4th tallest telecommunications tower (CN Tower being the tallest) here as well, and it is definitely open to the public so I'll check that out today for a city view. Hopefully the smog doesn't interfere with photos too much. I'll also try and check out the National History Museum to learn about Malaysia's history. Tomorrow I'll head out, I believe to Penang, once again by train.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds mighty interesting
at least the cheap prices make up for the silly service

take it easy man 

Posted by Stash

Friday, January 14, 2005 4:38:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah trains.

shit i haven't taken a train since soviet russia. Those weren't just transportation - those were EXPERIENCES.


good thing you're having fun, man. Don't drink the water ;) 

Posted by nik

Saturday, January 15, 2005 8:00:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All material on this site © 2004-2009 Chris Anderson (aka PhotoDiarist™) unless otherwise noted