Saturday, April 04, 2009

Mandalay, Burma

On February 3rd, I headed from Yangon to Mandalay by bus. First I had to take a truck to the bus station outside town:




Then I had to wait a couple hours at the bus station. I bought some snacks from a vendor, and was amused by the "big, big bite-size pieces" I ate.




I got minor food poisoning on the overnight bus (the first time I've had food poisoning of any type in a developing country - previously I've only had food poisoning in the UK and New Zealand). So I spent the morning sleeping it off, and in the afternoon felt fine and went for a walk about town. Sadly, I don't think this beer is particularly legitimate...




The Burmese government is really just a military dictatorship, and they have these hilarious/ridiculous signs in many places. 'Tatmadaw' means the Burmese military.




One of many gates on the Mandalay Palace wall, complete with moat:




Another one:




Looking up at Mandalay Hill, a 7km walk from my hostel just before sunset:




Looking down from the steps leading up Mandalay Hill, you can see hundreds of small stupas in rows:




I met a Buddhist monk at the top of the hill and chatted with him a bit to help him practice his English. I also let him play with my dSLR camera.




We took a 'ghost' photo just for fun too, with a bit of blur to keep his face non-identifiable:






The next day I caught a pickup truck out of town, because I wanted to eat some strawberries... more on that in the next post.

1 Comments:

Anonymous James Heaton said...

Looking at these giving me the "lack of travel blues"! you had me buzzing out with the moat reflection photo flipped.
keep em coming mate! Dunedin misses you! James

Sunday, April 05, 2009 10:10:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All material on this site © 2004-2009 Chris Anderson (aka PhotoDiarist™) unless otherwise noted