Sunday, August 26, 2007

Malaria

The morning after our visit to Etoko and the associated Porcupine Incident (our meal, which was followed by Brendon's violent food poisoning and sick stomachs for others), I began to feel a bit ill. I took a few pills to settle my stomach and climbed into the UAC bus for the long trip back down south to Buea. 8 hrs later we arrived back home in Buea and I went straight to bed with a bit of a fever, and I soonafter decided that I had malaria so we called the doctor, who came and gave me fever pills and a shot for my stomach so that I could eat.

The next day he came back with the results from the malaria blood test showing a positive result for plasmodium falciparum. He hooked me up to an IV and put tonnes of different meds in it, such as quinine and more antibiotics. I spent a few hours bored in bed, but feeling quite well, and after that I was fine.











These are all the meds I got for any possible parasites, amoebas, gastrointestinal stuff, etc.




I took it easy for a few days, and so I got out my camera and took a few random shots of stuff around the house, such as:

My fan:




A camera lens:




Insect repellant:




Our house's blackboard, complete with remnants of our Pidgin Language classes:




The view out our front window, of volunteer clothing hanging to dry:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

All material on this site © 2004-2009 Chris Anderson (aka PhotoDiarist™) unless otherwise noted