Saturday, August 06, 2005

Shake Hands With the Devil



On Sunday I went to see a movie I had been anticipating for quite some time - Shake Hands With the Devil. It's a documentary about Roméo Dallaire's return to Rwanda ten years after the genocide that saw 800,000 people die in 100 days while he and his understaffed underfunded UN mission could do nothing to stop it.

His book by the same name came out just over a year ago and I bought it for my Mom (www.RosemaryAnderson.com) when it first came out, as a Christmas present. When he came to UBC in Vancouver to speak publicly, Mom and I bought tickets and went to listen/watch him at the Chan Centre. His talk was really amazing to both Mom and me. I didn't end up finding the time to read his book after Mom had finished reading it, but it has received much praise and I would recommend it to anyone.

The movie was really amazing. It has screened at numerous film festivals around the world, and won several awards including Audience Award for a World Cinema Documentary at the Sundance Film Festival this year. No wonder. It screened in Vancouver but is not currently showing there... if it does, I highly highly recommend you watch it.

For now, if you're interested to see some of the film reviews, you can check out http://www.whitepinepictures.com/dallairesite/

The book is of course available online at Amazon.com or Amazon.ca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

All material on this site © 2004-2009 Chris Anderson (aka PhotoDiarist™) unless otherwise noted